What if we told you that you’d just won $1000? Surely, you’d be overjoyed and then began thinking about how you’d spend that cool grand. Well, you may have not really won any money, but you can gain $1000—the average amount Americans spend on eating out for lunch—by bringing your own lunch to work rather than going out.
There’s no better time to start bringing your own lunch (and a delicious one, to boot) than March 10, National Pack Your Lunch Day. In honor of this momentous day, we’ve put together five brilliant, easy, and healthy lunch ideas, plus a few recipes.
1. Asian Peanut Noodle Salad: This easy, healthy noodle salad can be customized with your choice of protein and veggies.
2. Avocado Toast: We’re all about the avocado toast trend for breakfast, lunch, dinner, and snacks. Healthy and simple to prepare, avocado toast can take on a myriad of different flavor and topping combinations.
3. Chicken Lettuce Wraps: Filling yet refreshing, these wraps can be made for dinner and recycled for a lunch you’ll look forward to the next day.
4. Charcuterie and Cheese Platter: Who says lunch has to be a sandwich or eaten with a fork? Assemble a platter of olives, dried fruit, nuts, cured meats, and cheese and enjoy with crackers, chips, or bread.
5. Chopped Salad: Keep it light and lively with a protein-packed salad with bacon, hardboiled egg, corn, and goat cheese. Pro tip: pack dressing separately so you can make ahead without the greens getting soggy.